Answered By: Your Library Team Last Updated: Apr 27, 2017 Views: 65
Can I get my InterLibrary Requests delivered direct to my desk top?
Yes - FileOpen is the way the British Library sends electronic articles to customers.
- The British Library will send an email containing the link to your document and instructions for opening it.
- To open the document your PC must have fileopen software installed on it.
- Your computer will also need to have Adobe Reader (version 4 or later). This is already installed on all University PCs.
- If you are using a managed windows 7 desktop you will need to download the fileopen software from the `Start' button on the pc. Information on how to do this can be found on the Corporate Information and Computing Services (CICS) web pages at: https://www.shef.ac.uk/cics/studentcomputing/software
If you do not use a managed desktop and you do not have FileOpen installed on your computer, you can download this software from the British Library from the FileOpen Test Document Service Page. To comply with copyright legislation, there is a specific process for electronic delivery of documents:
- When the British Library sends the link to the document it is available for 30 days only.
- Once the link has been activated the document will remain accessible for 14 days only.
- The document can be viewed more than once, but only from the same computer. Therefore if you intend to print the item, make sure you can print from that machine before opening it. It is advisable to print the article immediately - on an Open Access PC do not close the document or log out until you have printed it out.
- You cannot save the document and it can only be printed once.
Best practice is to print the document as soon as you activate the link.
There is a test document on the British Library website. Download it first to make sure you will be able to access your requested documents. If you do not wish to access an electronic copy of an InterLibrary loan please check the box at the top of the InterLibrary Request Service form.
How to I obtain my hard copy InterLibrary loan?
You will collect your InterLibrary Loan from the library site where you handed your form in . We will email you when it is ready to collect.