Answered By: Your Library Team
Last Updated: Jan 23, 2022     Views: 304

You can use different weights of paper in the printers, and at any library site.  It is recommended that you use the printers at the Information Commons Level 1, if you want some help.

When you print using non-standard media, *always* use the paper tray on the right side of the printer (the bypass tray).  Paper jams are less likely if you do this.

When you are at the PC, select print, then choose which printer you want, such as 'Student-black-and-white'.
Next, click the 'printer properties' link, which opens up a new menu.  Click the 'Paper Source' button, and choose both the paper tray (bypass tray) and the paper type you require.

On the right side of the menu, it shows you which paper type setting to choose, depending on the weight of the card you are using.
For example, if your card has a weight of 300gsm, then choose paper type 'Heavy Paper 4'.  There is also a setting for glossy.

When you purchase your card, see if you can find out what weight it is.
If you are photocopying, and want to use your own paper:
On the printer itself, you should select the bypass tray (although it may auto-detect your paper), and you can also select type and size of paper here.